On Friday afternoon, around 2, we headed over to Ciara's house. Ciara teaches with Heather at her new school. Ciara's husband, Gordy, is in the military here in Britain and they live on Thorney Island, which is a military post here in Britain.
It looked at felt very much like a typical BBQ. Adults sitting around drinking, men fiddling around by the grill, kids bouncing up and down on the trampoline. This is where I was introduced to Pimms.
Pimms is an alcohol-based mix that you add another part vodka and then two parts fizzy lemonade (Sprite). The ladies (there were 5) downed at least 3 pitchers of Pimms while snacking on sausages (not Brats) wrapped up in "finger rolls," cheese puffs, fairy cakes (cupcakes), crisps (chips), and wedges (country fries).
After awhile we had to move into a screened tent to protect ourselves from the mossies (mosquitoes) which apparently were an experiment for germ warfare in WWI. They abandoned this attempt but by then, the mosquitoes had quite taken over the island. These freaking bugs are HUGE!
When the Pimms was gone, we tackled Diet Coke. This is when Gordy went out to find something to mix with it. He was talking whiskey at first but fortunately just found some rum (from Barbados) and brandy (30 years old from France). Did I forget to tell you that Gordy is Scottish?! As my 'cousin' he took it upon himself to make sure I became 'one' with my Scottish ancestory.
Let me also mention my experience with the shower. John gave me a quick run-down before I took actually tried it. After climbing in I proceded to turn on the shower. However, I obviously turned the dials the wrong way. For about 5 minutes I stood (out of the spray) with FREEZING cold water shooting from the nozzle. I kept thinking "these crazy Brits take icy showers," and "like hell, if they think I'm getting under there," and "holy hell, I can feel my leg-hairs shooting out!"
Anywho, enough about Friday. By the way, take a look at one of the many messages you can get on your fag box (cigarette box).
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment